Ok, I have about 10 draft posts saved, so hoping to catch up over the holidays! A little while back I posted an interview with Nolan the night before he started Kindergarten. I hope to continue this tradition each year, and (better yet) take videos of it once I upgrade to a phone that has way more storage ;)
Although this year was "the big year" to start Elementary school, it didn't feel like it since (after much deliberation), we decided to keep Nolan in his daycare for the Private Kindergarten option since our public schools, although highly ranked, only provide half day Kindergarten. Half day is only 2.5hrs of school, and our elementary school does not offer on-site after care until 1st grade. It also doesn't bus to our daycare since the daycare is a different town with a different school district. Thus, the choice was either to have him start school for 2.5hrs then bus to a totally different school for aftercare for this year, or keep him with Emmy for another year. The choice was pretty clear as far as convenience and the price is likely not that much more considering aftercare costs.
The nice thing about the private Kindergarten is that since it is within a different school district, which does offer full day public kindergarten, his class is TINY. He is one of 5 kids this year so he is getting a very personalized experience for the money. I believe this will help his confidence and allow him to jump in full speed in public school for first grade. This now being a few months in, I can confidently say we 100% made the right call on this. We've never seen him so happy to go to school and he is thriving in his current environment! Whew, it's nice to get things right occasionally as a parent ;)
Back to the first day of school! I asked the kids what they wanted to wear and they both agreed they wanted "matching shirts". I LOVE this phase so much and am milking every second of it before they don't want it anymore. They honestly don't even care what the shirts are as long as they are matching! I was browsing in Old Navy and came across these STEM-themed gender neutral shirts and they were perfect! I'm a sucker for anything sciency!
I considered for a hot second the current "gold standard" of first day of school photos - getting a pre-made chalkboard with all your kids "stats", but quickly decided to do my own thing and not try to keep up with the pinterest moms out there. I just grabbed some computer paper, drew a quick and colorful sign with just the basic facts (do I really want everyone on facebook to know exactly where my kids go to school...um no.) and attached them to cardboard so they wouldn't bend for the pics. Works for me! Plus important info can be customized each year this way. And of course, Emmy didn't want to be left out. I love the way she looks adoringly at her big brother. The love between these two is so palpable.
Off they go! This will probably be the last year we'll get away without character back packs. These match their sleeping bags (Nolan doesn't use his at school anymore - no more naps!) I love how Emmy's is her entire body length ;)
| My big kindergartener! |
| His cubby at school! His classmates are Thomas, Herrick, Aditya, and Emma. |
The kids came home to a fun surprise - balloons from Aunt Mary Beth for a great first day! So happy these kiddos have so many people in their lives that love them so much. Here's to a great year!
No comments:
Post a Comment