Sunday, April 1, 2012

36 weeks - Good news all around!

***Written on 4/1/12 funny to look back at how I was feeling when completely unaware I was to go into labor in 1 day!***

36 weeks! Only 1 more week until Baby B is considered full term!

Lots to report on this week. This may have to be broken up over several posts.

First off, we got our baby furniture delivered this past Tuesday! It's such a relief and a joy to have the nursery start looking like a nursery! We had a crib, low dresser (top will be used as a changing table), fully upholstered glider recliner, and crib mattress delivered. Everything looks great, even in Baby B's small room. I unfortunately had to wait until Thursday night to see everything in person as I was away on a small business trip for work in New Jersey for Tuesday and Wednesday night. I was given the green light to be away from home (1.5hrs) by the doctor, my coworker drove, and, thankfully, the trip was uneventful as far as labor symptoms.

It was so fun coming home to the furniture! I love sitting in the glider and just taking in the room, picturing our little one soon occupying the crib. We've spent a ton of time this weekend further preparing the nursery, but the big reveal photos deserve another post. For now, here's the "bare bones" nursery before any finishing touches:
Glider and Dresser/Changing Table

Crib

Finally, Friday was quite the whirlwind day. We got up for an 8am 36 week ultrasound that would ultimately decide if my "low lying placenta" was going to be an issue for vaginal delivery. Baby B was still head down (yay!) and this time slightly turned sideways (still not the front-facing ideal for ultrasounds, but made it easier for them to get a bit better photos of his cardiac anatomy, which has been challenging as he's presented back-facing every other time). It was good news all around - baby's heart looks normal from everything they can see (still a few shadows from ribs getting in the way, but no cause for concern). Also good news was that the placenta no longer seems to be low lying. They actually had a hard time even finding the placenta using the transvaginal ultrasound (which is good news showing it is not near the cervix), but what they could see was at least 2cm away, thus clearing me from having an issues with a vaginal delivery. Cervix is still over 3cm thick and closed, so no signs of labor yet. One of the coolest things we saw during the ultrasound was Baby B taking, as the tech described it, "practice breaths", or exercising his lungs to start working when breathing is necessary. Very cool that our little guy is practicing for the real world :) Baby B looks to be in the ~60th percentile, weighing approx 6.5lbs, which puts him in the 8lb range if carried to 40wks. Healthy boy!

After the ultrasound appointment, we headed to our now weekly OB appointment. Again, everything checked out great. My blood pressure was normal and stomach is measuring within the normal range. We go back again next Friday.

I was feeling on cloud 9 after the appointments - I was definitely nervous going into the ultrasound and trying to mentally prepare for the words "scheduled C-section" to be said. Seeing our healthy guy passing all tests and practicing breathing was the best thing. Hearing his heartbeat and seeing my blood pressure at normal was icing on the cake at the OB appointment. But, apparently, those happy appointments weren't the only good news of the day....

I found out when I logged on and checked my work computer that I had been selected to attend the 2012 LONDON OLYMPICS! Backing up, a few months ago, my company announced a competition where coworkers can nominate each other based on a track record of "Giving Back to Youth in the Community" for a chance to be a torch bearer in the London Olympics (my company is based in London). My coworker nominated me based on all the work I had done in my sister's honor for the Emily C. Specchio Foundation. I was honored, and, to my surprise, placed as a finalist for this competition, but in the end did not win. As part of being a finalist, my company kindly donated money towards the foundation, sent me a commemorative London 2012 pen, and entered me into this next competition where they give out 100 all-expense paid trips to the London Olympics for 2. I was excited, but didn't get my hopes up. Now, to receive this news, Joe and I are still reeling! I've always been a HUGE fan of the olympics (ever seen my debit card? huge olympic flag design :) so this really is a dream come true, and a once in a lifetime opportunity.

We find out what the exact dates and 2 events that we will be attending will be this Thursday. We've got a lot of thinking to do as Baby B will be approx 3 months old when the Olympics start. Will he be an early world traveller and come with us? Will mommy and daddy need a break from raising a newborn and take a short trip alone? We're thankful to have these choices to make, and I'll definitely update with our thought process as time passes. I just think we have to make it happen as this is too big of an opportunity to pass up.

So, how's that for a productive week? As I've mentioned, we've been very busy in the nursery, and I hope to post a big reveal post soon. As far as how I'm feeling, all in all, really good! I feel very fortunate to have had such an easy pregnancy. If anything, I feel like I'm moving around easier than a few weeks ago (maybe due to Baby B having changed position?) and I rarely feel the stabbing pain down low that I had been. Sleep is still touch and go - lots of tossing and turning, and occasionally having to get up to go to the bathroom in the middle of the night, but I seem to be getting enough to get by each day. Some days I just take a short nap after work :) Hard to believe our countdown has turned into single digit weeks instead of months!


No comments:

Post a Comment