Could it really be 7 years since I last saw my sister? That seems... and feels... like a really long time. I miss her everyday.
The outpouring of support on May 15th was pretty overwhelming - I'm still working through emails/texts/facebook messages to get back to everyone. I find it incredible that so many people remember and reach out to us year after year... I have trouble even remembering most people's birthdays.
The emotions I feel on May 15th are hard to put into words. It's not that I miss her more on that day... but the emotions do seem more raw as I think back to how traumatic that day was in 2006. It took me a long time to not have those heartbreaking memories haunt me daily (really nightly) and to be able to focus more on what matters... our 21 beautiful years together and all the happy memories.
 |
| This photo was framed on her night stand - even in college. |
So, long ago I decided that instead of feeling sorry for myself and my unfair loss... I will consider myself lucky that I got to have such a fun and amazing sister and best friend for as long as I did. I'm definitely a believer of the saying "it's better to have loved and lost then to never have loved at all". Even though the loss hurts more than anything, I'd never swap sisters for the world.
 |
| Hokie House - 2005 |
I'm so glad I chose Duke to go to graduate school - we were only 3 hours away from each other during her college days. And we definitely took advantage! Lots of great memories from those days to look back upon fondly and smile. There's no doubt in my mind that I took every opportunity I could to be with her.
 |
| Lane Stadium - VT vs Duke |
 |
| Our house in NJ |
 |
| Disney World |
Emily. My little wo. I'd give anything to see you again. However, I do have this nagging feeling that you are around. Who was Nolan smiling and waving at the other night when we I was rocking him to sleep? He was looking at the doorway right where your photos are. I'd put money on who I think it was. I promise you he will grow up to know all about his Auntie Em... although maybe he already does.
 |
| Our last photo taken together. One day before she passed. |
Learn more about Emily
here... and all the inspiring things being done in her honor.
No comments:
Post a Comment