My grandfather (Mom's dad) came to the US in the 1920's (I think this is the right date range... correct me if I'm wrong!), and left behind the majority of his large family and over 100 acres of farm land in Ireland. The land still remains within the family, but interest in farming/maintaining the land in the younger generations is waning. It is always fascinating to trace your family's roots and experience firsthand a place where your grandparents grew up. I never met my grandfather since he passed away when my mom was in high school, but (re)visiting Carnacregg in County Galway makes me feel closer to my Irish ancestry.
We stayed in the cutest cottage owned by my cousin Anne (the daughter of my mom's 1st cousin Evelyn, who has TWELVE kids...there's an entire post dedicated to family coming soon). The cottage was only recently built and is on the family's land.
 |
| Anne's house on Carnacregg |
 |
| This is Anne's backyard! |
 |
| Beautiful farm land. Galway County is known for their stone walls. |
 |
| Joe standing in Anne's backyard |

Nolan loved all the space to run around, and Anne's sister Carmel (who lives next door) was kind enough to bring over some toys from her 2 boys for Nolan to play with during our stay... including an outdoor slide!
 |
| Nolan playing in the backyard. A slide and a soccer ball... what else does a boy need to be happy?! |
We had the opportunity to drive over the house my grandfather grew up in, which is still standing and that his nephew JJ lives in. We saw a bit of the house during our visit as well as the antiques they've kept and some of the farmland.
 |
| My Grandfather's House |
 |
| My Mom and JJ |
 |
| Model T Ford in amazing condition! |
 |
| Antique Fordson Tractor |
 |
| The driveway that leads to the house on the farm |
 |
| This kid loves exploring! |
 |
| Nolan with JJ and Jimmy |
 |
| Mom and JJ |
 |
| Dad and Jimmy |
 |
| Family shot (Nolan just loves these...) |
 |
| Loves the farm! |
 |
| Silly boy! |
 |
| His favorite place to be - Pop Pop's Shoulders! |
During our visit JJ kept asking how I liked the farm and if I'd want to come and live there. I think he was ready to hand over land if I said the word! Something to always keep in mind if we want a change of pace ;)
I feel so fortunate that we've kept in touch with the family over the generations and hope Nolan will grow up with a sense of pride in all of his ancestry (Irish, Italian, Bolivian, German) and that he'll want to learn about the countries where his relatives came from!
No comments:
Post a Comment