We're going to have a BABY!
Talk about changes! This makes our past move and job changes look like nothing!
First, some background. We both always knew we wanted to have kids. But, we wanted to wait until we felt "settled" both in our careers and geographically. Once we found out last year that we were moving back northeast, where both our families are, and we'd both be making decent incomes, we knew we would start trying once we moved. For some reason, I always have been scared of fertility issues since you always hear of couples struggling to conceive. My mom informed me that she never had an issue, which made me feel better, but still, you never know. I just was terrified of regretting the decision to wait until the right time (we've been married for 3.5 years, and dating for 6 years before that) if, for some reason, we did take awhile to conceive, or even couldn't. Luckily (and we really do feel blessed), those fears were unnecessary as we conceived right away. I think we are both still in shock and didn't expect for it to happen so fast!
So, quick story of how we found out. I, being the crazy data-obsessed scientist I am, started tracking my basal temperature every month so I could accurately predict my ovulation times. I started following the chart and knew around the first day I could check via a home pregnancy kit. Last month I felt so sick and swore I was pregnant, but took the test and sure enough I was not. This definitely threw me for a loop, so I wasn't expecting much when this month I felt basically nothing. But still curious, I took the test as soon as I could, and received the surprise of my life when I saw two lines!
I took the test first thing in the morning on Saturday, August 13th. It was my day to wake up early to walk Deaner, so i held my celebration to a quiet dance in the bathroom, debated what to do, and decided to take Dean on a long walk to let it all sink in... I was going to be a mom! When would my due date be? Will it be a girl or a boy? Uh oh, we better get a house soon, etc! I got back and tried to "relax" until Joe got up, but only made it another half hour or so before I couldn't take it anymore. I climbed back into bed with him holding the test and he opened his eyes. I looked back at him and held up the pregnancy test to his face, and said "Good morning, Dad!" He quickly sat up and examined the test. We both couldn't believe it and couldn't stop smiling!
I took another test just to confirm today, and same result!
We cannot wait to share our news with family and friends, but for right now we're celebrating solo. One of the downsides of getting pregnant this fast is that I am not on my work insurance yet. I start in 2 weeks, and until then am on a "cheapo" insurance that we'd rather not deal with. From what I've read, many doctors will not schedule an appointment until 8 weeks, and I am somewhere between 3 and 4 weeks right now...
I did do an online due date calculator that put "Baby B" entering this world on April 28th, 2011. It's going to be a wild 9 months, and we can't wait!
No comments:
Post a Comment