Sunday, July 15, 2012

Fourteen Weeks

I'm late for the 14 week post! I may have to keep the updates to the weekends since it's hard to get them done during the week. Nolan turned 14 weeks this past Tuesday - my 2nd week back at work.
14 week photo!
Notice the blurry hands - he's always moving!
Nolan has been doing great with Nonna during the day. We both survived my first week back at work. It was a good week to start back as it was broken up by the Fourth of July on a Wednesday this year. It was easier to only have 2 days apart at a time.

Nolan's first Fourth of July! 
Nolan had a cute hand-me-down "Little firecracker" onesie on, but unfortunately we didn't get any photos of him in it before he had a blowout all over himself and me holding him! The photo above he's wearing his back-up light blue onesie with white stars :)

We had our friends Kevin, Virginia, and their daughter Cylar over for a cook-out with my parents for the Fourth. We're so happy to live close to our families and that our good friends from NC moved up to Philly!

I went back to work on Thursday to finish out the week, and Nonna got in a good rhythm with Nolan - keeping records of his daily activities for us to check out when we get home. She also sends me lots of photos every day of what he's up to:

Like Playing in his playmat (still by far his favorite past time)

Having fun with Nonna during the day!


Big smile for my Gym!

With his friend Mr. Octopus

hands and feet going a million miles a minute!

or napping in his swing. Last weekend we put together his jumper (baby shower gift). He's still a bit small for it, but he's intrigued. Sometimes all the noises/toys on it are overwhelming, but he's getting used to it. We stacked 2 books underneath so he has something to jump off of since his feet don't reach the floor yet!

Nolan in his Jumper!
We also put together his high chair! Now he's at our level when we're eating - which he likes. He's only a few weeks away from being old enough to try solid foods (they recommend between 4 and 6 months) so we figured it'd be good to start the tradition of us all sitting down as a family for dinner time.

First time in his high chair - love those cheeks!

Joe worked at home my first Friday back at work, and Nonna went home to get some time in at her nursing job at the Nursing Home. Nolan got some nice time with his Abuelos in the morning and Daddy bonding time in the afternoon. Apparently they both missed mommy though! :

We miss Mommy!
Is it wrong that I love his cranky face??
Being back at work is a mixed bag for me. I actually enjoy my independence when I'm in - just the novelty of being able to walk around by myself, have adult conversations, and eat my lunch at my own pace were enjoyable. I also missed feeling productive and using my scientific training. However, leaving my happy, smiling baby in the morning is hard, and there are times during the day where it is hard to focus because I miss Nolan and just want to go home and see him. I'm sure it will get easier as we both settle into a routine.

Nolan in the morning before I leave for work
We definitely aren't in a routine yet - we are still searching for the right bedtime and night feedings in order to fall in rhythm with getting up when I get up in the morning. Ideally, I'd like him to wake up somewhere between 6-6:30am. Some days he has. Some days he's woken up at 5am, making me decide between getting up for the day or trying to nap for another hour or so. Some days I've had to wake him up because he's sleeping past 7am. His bedtime has been between 7:30-8:30pm, and his night feeding can range anywhere between 2-5am.

Getting ready for bed!

Night vision Nolan - our video monitor
I knew this would happen, but it is still astonishing how much he changes on a day to day basis. He's definitely found his hands now and frequently has his fist in his mouth (i've even seen him figure out just his thumb too!) He's also much smoother in his movements, being able to swat specific toys in his Gym and close his fingers around objects. It is very cool to watch him grow!








No comments:

Post a Comment