Monday, September 17, 2012

Weeks 22 & 23

Nolan is 5.5 months old!

It has been a busy BUSY two weeks, but we've survived! Mommy had some late nights getting everything in order (ahem, slideshow) for our 6th Annual "A Night with an Angel" event. It was rough for awhile in balancing everything, but it all got done, and the event was a big success. Now we can get back into our little family routine. 

Can't get enough of this little smile
As I mentioned in the last Nolan update, he got his first little cold. He had a stuffy nose (especially at night) for the past few weeks, but then last week he had his first big throw up (all over the kitchen and ME while in the moby wrap!) then a fever on and off for about 4 days. The highest temp I read was about 102F. I kept him home the day after he threw up, then the next day he was fine in daycare, but the following day he had a high temp again and the daycare said he wasn't acting himself so I picked him up after a half day. It felt so horrible to see my little boy not feel well, but honestly, it didn't stop him from being pleasant and playful while at home.

Sick boy on the move!
The first day I was home with him, I put him down in his gym, looked away for literally 2 seconds then saw the photo above. He had rolled right out of his gym! I wish I had seen it happen because he's still not great at getting off his belly once he rolls onto it so I have no idea how he got there! He looks surprised too :)

Half day home with Mommy after not feeling well at daycare
Best thing for a sick boy? Mommy cuddles!
My little sick monster xoxo
Munching his favorite snack: his fist!
Fist and feet
Playing away from his favorite position - his belly!
Nolan is LOVING his jumperoo lately - hands down his favorite toy in the house. Plus he's so adorable in it :)



After labor day, Nolan's daycare is officially "back to school" with its summer program ended. I came into his cubby being switched around due to new kids, and this adorable sign for his area:

Nolan's cubby

Cutie hanging out at the dinner table
Best part of the workweek - evenings on the deck with my little man.

Still loving his feet
Boys playing with their respective toys :)
Nolan was such a trooper at the foundation event. He hung out with mommy while everyone set up the silent auction on Sunday. He even modeled the kid sized Adirondack chairs:

Striking a pose baby-model style
Nolan was a big hit at the dinner - he made his big appearance during cocktail hour, and caused a bottleneck at the entrance with everyone coming by to meet him. I was worried of a possible meltdown due to the cocktail hour being during his normal bedtime (6:30-7:30pm) and all these strange faces being up close and personal. But he hung on like a trooper, even making it all the way home in the car for dad without a meltdown, and falling asleep right after being given his bottle. What a guy!

Chillin at the Madison Hotel while Silent Auction items are put together
This weekend was very low key. Mommy is burnt out from the foundation event followed by the work week. I very much enjoyed an extended snuggle session with my little boy Saturday morning - seems we both were needing some downtime:

This is my heaven
Our big news this weekend is that Nolan tried his first solids! We fed him organic brown rice cereal today. It was mixed with breast milk, and we started with a very soupy consistency (1tbsp cereal, 4 tbsp milk). Nolan had mixed reactions:

Nolan and his reactions to rice cereal




According to our sheet sent home from the doctor, we are to try the cereal once a day gradually thickening the consistency. After a few days, we can switch to oatmeal. If there are no problems, we can start trying veggie and fruit purees. Each food should be spaced out 3-5 days to make sure any allergies can be easily identified. I'll have to look into what order I want to try. It's an old wives tail to introduce veggies before fruits as the kid won't want veggies after having tried the sweet fruits. I don't think there's much evidence behind this, but it can't hurt to try. My goal is to prevent a picky eater as much as possible. I'd love for Nolan to just be able to eat whatever we're eating every night in the future. 
Overall, a successful first try! I think he swallowed a decent amount although it was a messy affair!
Bonus: Nolan's FIRST TOOTH broke through his gum this week. It's the bottom front tooth and still not in enough to catch on photo, but I will post one as soon as I can get it :)

I will definitely keep this updated as he tries his different foods. This should be fun! What a big boy we have on our hands these days.


No comments:

Post a Comment