Saturday, January 31, 2015

From Three to Four

Pregnant belly. 34 weeks.
I wanted to write a quick post as baby girl's arrival seems imminent, and I am still wrapping my head around the fact that I will soon be a mother of two. My last OB appointment was on Thursday, where I was surprised to hear that I was already 3cm dilated and about 50% effaced. This was particularly surprising since even after I was admitted to L&D when my water broke for Nolan's birth I was only a fingertip dilated. Even though the OB said that it was normal and that you can stay dilated like this for weeks, it makes me feel like I am on the road for an early delivery again. I've also experienced isolated painful contractions this time around that brought me right back to the delivery room last time. Thankful that when I do finally get admitted, I'll already be a third of the way there (maybe more), and only 1cm away from having the option of an epidural :) All day today starting in the morning I've had a "bloody show" (blood tinged mucus) that from all accounts I can find is the beginning of early labor and I should expect to deliver within the next few days. I have had mild on and off cramping this afternoon/evening, but no full blown very painful contractions, so doctor's orders are that we wait until painful contractions occur every 5min or so for an hour before calling to be admitted to L&D (or if my water breaks). It's weird having this anticipation this time around as I definitely had no warning/thought that we would be heading in to the hospital soon with Nolan.

34 Weeks
35 weeks
36 Weeks
We've always known that another early delivery could be possible, so thankfully we are much more prepared this time around. Most of my work has been brought to a good stopping point or passed over to colleagues now, we have all of baby girls clothes washed and the carseat installed, our hospital bags are packed, my mom is in town from my baby sprinkle this afternoon and planning to stay the next few days as needed. Of course, there are a few small details I wish were completed before baby girl arrives (Nolan is still sleeping in the nursery room in the crib even though his big boy room is ready for him, artwork is not hung, and I was hoping to make it to 37 weeks this time, which is ~4 days away), but in the big picture, we are getting excited and everything essential is in place and ready to go!

Turning the nursery into a girl's room. First step - new curtains!
I spy some pink in the closet!
Big Boy Room!
One of my favorite things we did to get Nolan ready for baby was to take him to Build a Bear to pick out a bear for his sister. His favorite stuffed animal to sleep with is a build a bear from his aunt Jessica, so I thought it would be fitting. He knew right away he wanted a white one for her (his is brown). We named her "Blanca" :)

Nolan putting the heart in little sister's bear before she is stitched up!
First present from Brother to Sister <3
I've had a few emotional moments the past week or two thinking how much our life is going to change and how Nolan will have to share the spotlight with another kid soon. I've tried to soak up the one on one time we've had, as well as try to get him excited for his baby sister to arrive. Although I've always wanted more than one child, I think the real winner here long term is Nolan. In my mind, he is gaining a best friend for life, and I hope he eventually embraces it and realizes how lucky he is to have a little sister in his life as he gets older. I think my heart may burst as they grow up together and start to share a childhood full of memories.

Soaking up the last few moments of my only child

I know the next few months/years? will be a big change, and that it will be overwhelming at times. I remember how hard those early days/weeks/months of sleepless nights and I'm sure the exhaustion will be another level with another kid at home to worry about as well. But overall, I am optimistic about the future and look forward to finding new balance and a new normal. I am so excited to meet this little person who has been invading my body, see what she looks like, learn her personality, and see how she fits into the mix of our little family. I've already learned so much from Nolan and my eyes and heart have been opened and filled with love in developing our mother/son bond. I look forward to also experiencing the mother/daughter bond, which I'm sure will be different and complex in its own way, but something I am very grateful to get to experience in my life. Little girl, I can't wait to meet you (soon!)


Work Shower Cake. They also learned from last time and had it early enough so that it would be before I went on maternity leave! 
Nolan running around with the balloons from my Baby Sprinkle

Last night as a family of three??
Happy Family and ready for baby!

No comments:

Post a Comment