Wednesday, January 7, 2015

Getting into the Christmas Spirit

It's been such a wonderful Christmas season! Nolan really got into the spirit this year as it was really the first time he understood the concept of Santa and the anticipation of presents, excitement over the tree/lights/etc. We ate up his enthusiasm and tried to fit as many fun holiday-related activities as we could in December. 

First up: Getting our Christmas Tree! For me, nothing beats the smell of a real Christmas tree in the house, and I love the tradition of going out to pick one every year. Nolan was pretty excited, and even though it was raining, I couldn't wait another weekend to go get our tree so we headed out the first weekend after Thanksgiving to pick one out.

Pre-Christmas Tree hunting smiles. 
We tried a new place this year - closer to our house at a nearby school. I didn't get many photos since it was raining and I didn't want to get my nice camera wet, but I had to take just a few to capture the big event :)
Decisions, Decisions!
So many to choose from!

This is the one, Daddy!
Of course, Nolan (and I) had to have the biggest one on the lot ;) Daddy wasn't so sure, but after it was set up and decorated he came around (even it if did hit the ceiling with the star!) Nolan LOVED putting the ornaments on the tree. He wanted to do it over and over and liked putting them all next to each other on the very edge of the branches so they were almost hitting the floor ;)
He had the honors of putting on the first ornament!

This looks like a good spot!
The finished product!
Last year I bought a felt tree from Target with felt ornaments, but Nolan was more amused at pulling the entire tree off the wall instead of decorating it. This year, Nolan definitely got the concept more and loved decorating "his tree".  I also got him a magnetic advent tree by Melissa and Doug (a hospital gift store buy while I was waiting out my 3 hr glucose test) that is still a favorite post-christmas. It will be hard to put that one away!

Decorating "Nolan's Tree"

With the halls decked, we continued the holiday traditions with a visit to Santa! Nolan was really excited this year and we rehearsed that Santa would ask him what he wanted for Christmas. He didn't hesitate when we got there to say right away "I'd like a Thomas Toy, please!" We did really well with avoiding the crowds this year by going to the lesser frequented Plymouth Meeting mall and arriving before Santa was there. We were 2nd in line! I was worried Nolan would be freaked out since the kid ahead of us was bawling the entire time, but he did great with big smiles!

Waiting in line for Santa!

3rd Meeting with Santa! Age 2.5
Last year - Age 1.5
First meeting - Age 8 mo
Another bonus of the Plymouth Meeting Mall is that they had a carousel ride inside during the holidays! Once we were done with Santa we went right over there and Nolan was so excited to ride on the horsies and we loved seeing his happiness and wonder of the season.

I want to ride the Horsey, Mommy!

Happy Kid and Dad after a Successful Santa visit!
Nolan, Mommy, and baby Bump!
Love watching him marvel in everything <3
Once Nolan started getting really excited about seeing all of the Christmas lights on the houses in our neighborhood, I knew he would love seeing ones that were over the top. I heard about this neighborhood in nearby Drexel Hill that had 2 houses at the end that were completely over-the-top decorated. One was advertising that Santa would be visiting on a particular night so we drove over to check it out and were not disappointed. These iPhone photos don't really do it justice. There were a million lights and they were blasting Christmas music along with Santa hanging out giving out Candy Canes to kids out front and families driving by. "Let it Go" from Frozen came on, and Nolan loved it (apparently he hears it at school all the time - there's no hiding from pop culture disney stuff now!)

Light tunnel over the sidewalk outside the house

Tacky or awesome? Entertaining either way!
Meeting Santa (again!) and getting a Candy Cane. He was SO excited





Nolan had a THIRD chance to see Santa shortly after when our township brought him right by our house riding on a fire truck! What could be better for a 2 year old?!



Nolan loves seeing Santa riding the fire truck and got yet another candy cane! He broke the last one by accident so he was so happy to have a new one and wanted to hang it on the tree as soon as we went back inside :)



Another tradition we continued this year was visiting nearby Rose Tree Park in Media. Again, Nolan LOVED it, and wouldn't stop RUNNING around the entire park he was so happy! The lights looked gorgeous.









Someone didn't want to leave!
Rose Tree Park last year
To wrap up this marathon post, we tried something new this year for the holidays - we ventured into Philly to check out all of major holiday sites. First up was the Comcast Center, which projects a holiday video on their walls and looks incredibly lifelike. I didn't take any photos, but it was very impressive and huge! After the show (you just stand in their lobby), we walked over to Love Park. It was crowded (it was the week before Christmas), but I was still able to get some good photos.

First - snack time! Gotta refuel :)


City Boy.
Hanging out in Love Park
I love this series of Nolan with a huge wooden Nutcracker in Love Park.

Who is this?!
I like this guy!

Feeling silly!
Mommy getting in on the fun

Playing with Daddy
I'm just going to stay here
Love definitely describes it <3
After Love Park, we cut through city Hall to check out the tree there and Nolan loved the train underneath the tree.



Next we headed to Macy's downtown in the historic Wanamaker Building to see their long running tradition of a lights show set to music played by their organ. We had great front row tickets from the third floor. I was planning to take Nolan through the Dickens Village that is also in the building, but we turned around while waiting in line because Nolan didn't want to go. He hadn't had his nap that day since we picked him up from daycare early and we didn't want to push it. He did great during the show though and loved seeing Santa lit up in the train at the top of the wall.

Macy's light show
We finished up our Philly trip with Nolan falling asleep in his stroller and Joe and I enjoying a yummy dinner at Reading Terminal before heading back home.

More posts to come from Christmas Eve and Day! Still recovering from the holiday season. Just today Nolan told me he was sad. When I asked why, he said, "I'm sad because I don't want Christmas to be over!" Guess someone is already counting down til next year :)

No comments:

Post a Comment